On December 8-9, 2017 thousands of Jewish teens from over 40 countries will celebrate Global Shabbat—BBYO’s biggest Shabbat experience yet
From actors to athletes, Holocaust survivors to business professionals, politicians to entrepreneurs, teens will be inspired by the stories and experiences shared from hundreds of Gamechangers as part of a diverse array of meaningful Shabbat programming built to bring the community together. Last year, more than 500 local BBYO chapters in communities across 20 countries took part in BBYO's Global Shabbat.
Search for your community's #BBYOGlobalShabbat event below. (Search by city/neighborhood name.) New events are popping up every day!
ABOUT GLOBAL SHABBAT 2017
ואהבת לרעך כמוך
V’AHAVTA L'REACHA KAMOCHA
LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF
This year, Global Shabbat focuses on a core Jewish value that teaches to “love your neighbor as yourself.” Through strong, meaningful and exciting programming, BBYO will elevate those in our world who best demonstrate this essential Jewish value. Now, more than ever, in a time filled with pervasive racial and ethnic injustice, rising antisemitism, and a growing refugee crisis around the world, it is critical that we embrace all our neighbors across our community, our people and our world. We are far more similar than we are different. Global Shabbat events around the world will feature gamechanger guests that will be a part of these meaningful Shabbat experiences.
embracing interfaith & cross-cultural neighbors
In addition to hosting Holocaust Survivors and other Gamechangers at Global Shabbat events this December, consider elevating your program by enabling shared experiences with interfaith, cross-cultural and/or vulnerable populations in your local community. Looking for a few ideas to get you started? You could host:
- An interfaith Havdallah and song session with campfire highlighting songs and stories of peace from a variety of faiths
- A shared service project bringing faith communities together to do good together ahead of the holidays
- An interfaith potluck featuring traditional dishes, ceremonial breads, family stories and/or blessings over meals
- A Shabbat meal with representatives from various local youth movements for discussion on faith, holidays, similarities across religions, etc.
- New local refugees and Holocaust survivors to share the parallels of the refugee experience 70 years apart
- A community leader from a local Latino rights, LGBTQ rights, African American association or other civil rights chapter (ACLU, ADL, etc.) as a Gamechanger at your Shabbat
- A local elected official to speak about the issues important to diverse populations (Jewish, Muslim, Black, Latino, etc.) within the community and how working together can advance progress
- A peer youth movement from another faith or culture, utilizing the Global Minds chapter initiative to build a meaningful interfaith Shabbat experience
- A community oneg at a local homeless shelter
- An interfaith group for a Shabbat program to co-create a community art installation depicting a shared value
- A "Rainbow Shabbat" featuring multi-colored foods, an “express yourself” dress-up component, and an LGBTQ+ activist speaker
- A journalist to speak about the implications of "fake news" on partisanship, community, etc., and the importance of civil dialogue
- An "Unplugged Shabbat" featuring a speaker from the tech/social media industry to speak about developing/contributing to cyber-kindness
- A Shabbat program with Best Buddies, Friendship Circle, or other local organization supporting kids with special needs
- A multi-generational Shabbat service emphasizing the importance of tradition, acceptance, and tolerance
- A group of local student government leaders (high school or college) as featured Gamechangers to discuss the importance of Judaism/religion/faith/spirituality in the community and welcome them into our network
Have an awesome idea not included above? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share all the great things happening across the Movement!
Need help identifying the right gamechanger FOR your community'S GLOBAL SHABBAT EXPERIENCE? Check out the Finding a Gamechanger REFERENCE Guide for ideas!
Check out some of the amazing gamechangers participating in BBYO's Global Shabbat.
Check back as we continue to update this with more featured Gamechangers!
#BBYOGLOBALSHABBAT PHOTO CONTEST
As our fall movement initiatives launch worldwide, you can win great prizes by sharing great Fall Fest and Global Shabbat photo and video highlights of your chapter, region or country event successes. We want in on the fun! You could be featured on @BBYOInsider throughout the contest or be selected for a new Instagram ad campaign! We wanna see what “Together We Will” means to you and your friends.
- From Nov. 1 through Dec. 15 tag any photo/video on social media with #BBYOFallFest or #BBYOGlobalShabbat and @BBYOInsider
- Anyone (teen, staff, advisor, enthusiastic parent, whatever) can participate
- No limit on the number of entries per person
- Winners will be notified by DM (Set your social profiles to public!)
- Win exclusive swag, gift cards, cash program grants for your chapters or communities and more!
Have questions? Hit us up! Email AZABBG@bbyo.org any time. Let’s see y’all go big!